Social media is where I make a big part of my living via my buzz biz BuzzBroz. So I have to be on the internet waaay more than I’d like. Sadly the web has become a bottomless quagmire of lies. These lies, also called Conspiracy Theories, have gotten so prevalent on social media these dark days that I’ve been forced to develop some skills for shielding my mind and heart from bad players.
Before you read on for my hard won 10 tips, please see THE GREAT HACK on Netflix. This will allow you to truly understand what I mean by the weapons grade social media. In a nutshell it is the shit storm of disinformation driving our world insane. Here’s the trailer for the amazing doc that I shared many times over the past year.
Ah, for the good old days of social media pre-2015. It all began with such promise. A way for like minded people to gather in love and like mindedness. But never did any of we early users of the medium, before it even had a name, imagine social media becoming a home for haters to gather. And, don’t get me started about foreign governments like Russia and China using social media to foment civil war and manipulate so many minds virtually unchecked.
Next, listen to Morning Joe rage for us, totally losing his cool about the hell hole social media has become thanks to the lack of ethics of billionaire bad boy and wannbe kingmaker Mark Zuckerberg.
OK, if you’re still with me you likely understand, like the Corona Virus in the near total absence of Federal leadership, that we’re all on our own to #FightThePsyop. Here are some techniques, a work in progress, that I’ve developed in my daily battle to earn a living on the web without becoming a brainwashed share-bot.
10 STEPS TO REGAINING DISCERNMENT
- Sorry to be the one to tell you… but your closest friends and family may have been weaponized by the unscrupulous to share mind warping links. Be upfront. Tell your pals and fam until FB, Twitter or wherever get their act together to protect us from bad actors. Make it crystal clear that you REFUSE to subjected to the crap getting circulated on the web by Russia, Trump and, yes, the Dems and GOP alike. Warn your peeps if they don’t listen and still persist on sending you PSYOP dross that you will instantly BLOCK them on a one strike rule. Be serious about it. Your life as a free range human is literally at stake.
- Speaking of blocking, be ruthless in culling out people you see sharing rotten things from dubious sources in your feed. I know from firsthand experience that this will be hard as hell. But as the debris field of junk on the web clears you’re going to be seeing stuff in your feed that you actually enjoy again.
- Once you’ve cut off the flow of weaponized social media from well meaning but clueless or careless friends and family, and from strangers we call “friends” on FB, it’s time to selectively find media sources which you trust. Let your gut, a snap decision survival part of your body, evolved over millions of years, a perfect tool to snap judge the busy mile a minute web, be your guide. The book BLINK, A GUIDE TO SNAP DECISION MAKING is an awesome tool to build up your intuition to sift tact from convenient fiction on the lie infested web.
To avoid being an unwitting share-bot, use your gut, discussed in BLINK, to verify your sources’ news before you post anything to your wall or news feed. Yes, sharing vetted material takes longer. But you’ll be using your amazing gut to root out the snakes looking to twist reality for their own demented agendas. I promise you if you work hard at this that the mental fog will clear and you will learn to trust yourself again. Who knows? If you get good enough at this you might even become a trusted source of news yourself.
- Look for the hidden agenda behind anything you share to your wall. Regular news and politics, right or left, is fine if it’s trusted and passes your gut and vetting. But even if a story seems very interesting, never, never share news that’s fake. Never.
- Learn stories from all angles. Yes, even those stories that oppose your political beliefs. That means stomaching FOX for CNN fans and CNN for FOX fans. My amazing wife Elizabeth, 17 years military, some of that Special Ops, taught me this technique and to watch unfiltered news with here on Cspan whenever possible. Twitter, once you look past paid trolls (who usually have numerals in their handles making them easy to spot and block), is a good place to see both sides of an issues very quickly and in concentrated trending form. Lots of discernment is especially needed when using Twitter as people with hidden identities free express wildly.
- Elizabeth also advises going back to the source of the story when possible.
- Avoid talking heads on the news, right or left, looking to stir emotions to fill their gaping 24 hour news cycle. Be your own talking head. Weigh things. Think for yourself.
- Get media from audio, TV and reading. Yes, reading. Reading makes the mind stronger.
- Last. Meditate on the news. Give it time to simmer and the truth will bubble to the surface. You’ll also be transmuting the darkness that is our news into light. And speaking of light look for happy stories to share. But still make sure you vet them!
OK. Good start here. If I think of more, or you suggest some ideas I like, I will update this list.
Note that in the end people will never be in full consensus. After all we all have unique personalities and life experiences. But that’s exactly the idea here, giving ourselves the discernment power to make up our own minds and not to be programmable share-bots.
Always remember our reality is nothing more than a collection of stories which a majority of us agree upon. And since sharing creates the reality we all agree upon what you share is of vital importance that you must never taken lightly.
Sorry in advance for your pain. Re-engineering how we use social media is going to be hard on you emotionally. Some friends and family who are used to dumping their conspiracy theories and junk on your pages will moan and groan. Tell ’em to wake the hell up. Shake ’em up. Tell them how sharing lies and conspiracy theories like thri dropping by yout house and unloading dumpster of rotting meat in your living room!
We need to do on our own because billionaire social media kings are ruining our lives unchecked by hiding behind the name of freedom. Like freedom for real? Then realize that unless we the everyday users of social media learn to discern the truth of what we post we are on a path to the CWWW., the Censored World Wide Web.
Your mind is sacred. It deserves your very best efforts to be protected from targeted brainwashing on social media and the news in general. #FightThePsyop
Working on a Tshirt.